Minot Criminal Defense Attorneys
Your Legal Rights, Freedom, and Future – Criminal Defense Attorneys Serving Clients in Ward County
Whether you have learned that you are the target of an investigation by a law enforcement agency or you have been formally arrested, the prospect of a criminal conviction can turn your life upside down. While the situation can seem daunting, you have important rights that should be immediately asserted. These rights include your right to remain silent, right to an attorney, and right to deny consent to a search. Many people make the mistake of making their situation worse by trying to “cooperate” rather than contacting an experienced Minot criminal defense lawyer who can safeguard their interests against overzealous law enforcement officers and prosecutors.
Although North Dakota law enforcement agencies often pursue investigations aggressively, our criminal defense attorneys at Sand Law, PLLC have successfully prevented formal charges from being filed when we are retained during the investigative process by narrowing the breadth of the investigation. We are prepared to limit the scope of interrogations, oppose unreasonable search and seizures, expose suggestive lineups, and otherwise ensure our clients receive the fullest protection of their rights under state and federal law.
How Can Our Ward County Criminal Defense Attorneys Help You?
Our lawyers are not here to pass judgement, our law firm is committed to the principle that every person accused of a crime deserves a zealous defense based on all our expertise, resources, and experience. When you are arrested by state or federal law enforcement officers or agents, law enforcement and prosecutors have almost limitless financial resources to use when seeking a conviction.
Sand Law’s Defense Strategy
Our North Dakota criminal defense attorneys pursue effective defense strategies and positive outcomes that might include:
- Seeking exclusion of illegally obtained evidence
- Revealing distorted facts or outright lies by witnesses (including the so-called victim) and the police
- Pursuing strategies for obtaining a dismissal of the charges or an acquittal following trial
- Exploring options for a charge or sentencing reduction, diversion, drug court, probation or other forms of alternative sentencing
- Working with experts in ballistics, toxicology, pathology, psychiatry, and other areas of specialized knowledge
- Undertaking a thorough investigation that might include the use of professional forensic investigators
- Negotiating with the prosecutor to positively affect the initial charging decision in terms of the number or seriousness of charges to impact the parameters of the actual charged offenses and plea offers (when retained prior to formal charges)
Why Clients Trust Our Minot Criminal Defense Attorneys to Fight for Their Future
Our criminal defense attorneys tenaciously fight for the rights, liberty, and future of our clients. We are litigators who recognize that the adverse impact of a criminal conviction lasts far beyond formal sentencing terms like jail or prison time, fines, probation, loss of driving privileges, mandatory counseling/classes, and more. A criminal record can impact employment opportunities, eligibility for occupational or professional licensing, academic pursuits, loan applications, immigration privileges, constitutional rights, and other facets of people’s lives.
The long-term prospect of facing criminal charges in North Dakota can be frightening. Aside from the impact of formal sentencing, the consequences of a conviction of a criminal offense can last long after you have satisfied all the terms of your probation. The conviction can interfere with loan eligibility, employment prospects, promotions, professional licensing, housing options, immigration privileges, and more.
Our clients select us to fight for their future because of our reputation for fiercely taking on prosecutors, exposing weaknesses in the State’s case, exploiting improper law enforcement conduct, and seeking the best possible outcome for our clients. Some of the accolades, honors, and ratings that reflect our commitment to striving for exemplary results and keeping clients informed throughout the process include:
- Designation by Super Lawyers as “Top 40 Under 40”
- Highest “Preeminent AV” Rating from Martindale-Hubbell Based on Peer Review
- “Excellent” Avg. Rating by AVVO (Organization Rating All Attorneys in the U.S.)
- Numerous Five Star Reviews on Legal Portals and Websites That Provide Attorney Ratings
- Classification as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers
- Near Perfect Rating Based on Peer Review from Martindale-Hubbell (4.9 out of 5.0)
Proven Defense Against Felonies, Misdemeanors, and Serious Traffic Offenses in Ward County, ND
Our lawyers have successfully represented many people charged with infractions, misdemeanors, and felonies in state and federal courts throughout Ward County. Some of the crimes we handle include the following:
- Driving While Impaired (DWI)/Driving While Under the Influence (DUI)
- Drug Offenses and Controlled Substances
- Theft Offenses (e.g. Burglary, Shoplifting, Theft)
- White Collar Offenses (Fraud, Embezzlement, Fraud, Money Laundering)
- Juvenile Offenses
- Violent Crimes (Robbery, Homicide, Murder, Manslaughter)
- Identify Theft
- Weapons Charges
- Sex Crimes (e.g. Sexual Abuse, Rape, Prostitution)
- Computer Crimes
- Crimes Against Children (Child Porn, Sexual Abuse)
- Probation Violations
- Domestic Violence
- Serious Driving Violations (Driving Under Suspension, Reckless Driving)
Effective Strategies for DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense in North Dakota
Our experienced criminal defense lawyers do not rely on investigations conducted by law enforcement officers and agencies; rather, we conduct our own independent investigation of the facts once you retain our office. We work with skilled private investigators, forensic specialists, and other knowledgeable experts. Our attorneys analyze the government’s discovery (e.g. evidence the State has supporting the charges); interview witnesses, which includes exploring grounds to lie or for bias; expose law enforcement misconduct and violations of our client’s rights; seek to exclude unlawfully obtained evidence; and challenge the sufficiency of the prosecutor’s evidence to prove every element of a charged offense beyond a reasonable doubt.
We have the skill and expertise to provide an effective defense during all phases of the criminal process from pre-charge investigations through trial and post-judgement proceedings, such as appeals. When we are retained prior to formal charges being filed, we often expose weaknesses in the prosecutor’s case or attacking suggestive lineups, Miranda violations, unreasonable searches, and other inappropriate conduct by law enforcement. Our aggressive approach at this early stage can influence charging decisions regarding the severity and number of criminal counts. Because the initial charges will set parameters for plea negotiations, this early intervention can result in more favorable plea offers. Depending on your specific circumstances, we might even be able to persuade the prosecutor not to pursue the case or to agree to diversion.
While a disposition is reached in most criminal cases through plea negotiations prior to trial, our Minot, North Dakota criminal defense lawyers thoroughly prepare our cases with an eye toward trial. We approach cases looking for the best strategy to get a case dismissed or to prevail at trial. We also know that this type of thorough preparation provides the strongest incentive for prosecutors to agree to favorable reductions in charges, lenient sentencing, probation, or other alternate forms of sentencing that might keep you out of jail or prison and mitigate the adverse consequences of a criminal prosecution.
Speak to a Minot Criminal Defense Attorney Today
Our criminal defense law firm fiercely opposes the State in Minot criminal cases and throughout Ward County, North Dakota, such as:
- Des Lacs
We also represent clients in smaller unincorporated areas and townships in Ward County. If you or someone close to you is the target of a criminal investigation or the subject of an arrest, we offer you the opportunity to speak with one of our seasoned North Dakota criminal defense lawyers at Sand Law, PLLC. Our goal is to fight for your future, freedom, reputation, and rights, so call Sand Law, PLLC today at 701-609-1510 or email us for a free, confidential review of your pending criminal charges.