Williston Truck Accident Attorneys
Experienced Williston Accident Lawyers, serving Williams County and the entire State of North Dakota
North Dakota is a major trucking hub, exporting and importing goods all over the state. The volume of oil and gas that North Dakota produces means getting that product to market, most often through the use of commercial trucks. These trucks are driving through major cities and small towns, on major highways and on small backroads. This increased amount of truck traffic on North Dakota’s roads increases the chances of a serious truck accident that causes serious and life changing injuries and damages.
Truck accident cases often involve multiple at-fault parties and serious injuries. The most common at-fault parties in semi truck accidents are the shipping company, the company who loaded the goods, the truck driver, and the truck manufacturer, all of which may be liable for the damages and injuries caused by truck and trailer accident.
The experienced North Dakota truck accident attorneys at Sand Law PLLC are here to help you through this difficult time with real compassion for the victim and expert litigation against the at-fault parties.
Common Causes of Semi Truck Accident in Williston
North Dakota truck accident cases always seem to have a common thread when it comes to causation. In fact, over the many hundreds of truck accident cases that come across the desks at Sand Law, a few common causes of truck accidents stand out.
The most common causes of commercial truck accidents are:
- Improperly loading the trailer
- Overloading the trailer
- Driver is tired or drowsy
- Driver is somehow impaired on drugs or alcohol
- Defective part on the truck or trailer
- Trucking company failed to properly train driver
- Maintenance on the truck was ignored or behind
- Driver or company ignored regulations to make more money
Failing to Follow North Dakota Department of Transportation Regulations
Both the US government and the State of North Dakota have regulations in place to help prevent serious truck accidents. These regulations are often strict, and adamantly enforced because it is a well-known fact that trucks are extremely dangerous in certain conditions. These regulations, at the state level, are controlled by the North Dakota Department of Transportation and are intended to increase safety for both the truck drivers and other drivers on the road.
Some examples of North Dakota commercial trucking regulations include:
- Maximum weight of truck cargo
- Maximum heights of truck and trailer
- Maximum widths of entire trucking vehicle
- Number of hours a trucker can be behind the wheel
- Usually time rules are heavily dependent on many different variables, like where the driver is, how much rest they have had, how many days they drive in a row, etc.
- Comply with any and all safety inspections
- Where the officer may check the trucks brakes, tires, exhaust systems, trailer hitching devices, lights, etc
- Drivers must carry their Commercial Drivers License, or CDL at all times
- Also must have with them a valid medical certificate and a log book of hours worked
Investigating a Semi-Trailer Accident
Investigating a semi-truck accident in Williston, North Dakota requires a heavy emphasis on the investigation process being done correctly and thoroughly. The North Dakota Truck Accident Attorneys at Sand Law PLLC investigate every commercial and 18-wheeler truck accident as in-depth as possible in order to determine:
- how the accident occurred
- how the truck accident directly caused any injuries
- and which parties were involved.
The investigation phase of any truck accident case is often the most important. It requires significant resources on the part of the hired truck accident law firm to be able to utilize their network of experts and investigators, have the resources available to ensure the investigation is thorough and transparent, and to be able to convert that investigation into understandable graphics and presentations to show to the jury.
Third-party Claims in a Williston Truck Accident Case
Semi truck accidents often involve suing more than one party, known as a third-party claim.
The reason a truck accident claim often involves the use of a third-party claim is simple: usually, multiple people or companies are responsible for the truck accident.
For example, the truck driver may have been breaking a law, the trucking company may have known their drivers were failing to follow state or federal regulations, and the manufacturer of the truck may have known there was a defective part.
In the above example, all three of these parties could possibly be held liable for their part in the truck accident and thus be responsible for the resulting financial damages and injuries to the victim.
Using an Expert Witness in a Williams County Truck Accident Case
Many North Dakota truck accident lawsuits require the use of an expert witness, or multiple expert witnesses, to establish the cause of the truck accident and to verify the injuries the accident caused. The use of expert witnesses will help your legal team establish credible evidence, which is critical to getting a favorable outcome in a ND truck accident case.
Sand Law may use, depending on the case’s details, the following types of expert witnesses when trying a truck accident case:
- Accident reconstructionist to provide expert engineering testimony about how physics, road conditions, and other contributing factors led to the truck accident.
- Truck driver or truck driver trainer to testify to regulations, reasonable actions a well-trained truck driver would have taken, etc.
- Injured victim’s primary care provider to provide ‘before and after’ testimony about the injured person’s health and injuries before and after the accident.
- Medical specialist who is an expert in the specific field that relates to the injured person’s condition, i.e. a neurologist for a TBI.
- Economist and/or vocational expert to the testify to the monetary figures related to the case, the job market, the diminished earning capacity, etc.
Experienced Truck Accident Attorneys in Williston, North Dakota
In North Dakota, semi truck and trailer accidents unfortunately occur far too frequently. Because of the physics involved when a massive, many-ton truck hits a small, relatively light-weight car, the outcome is usually devastating for the motor vehicle driver. Regular cars are simply no match for big rigs.
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured or were killed by a commercial truck and semi truck in Williston, Williams County, or anywhere in North Dakota, do not hesitate to contact the personal injury attorneys at Sand Law PLLC.
The longer wait, the more the evidence in your case will diminish and the harder it will be to pursue effectively. Contact us today by using our online contact form or by calling us at (701) 609-1510 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation today. We look forward to helping you and your family get started on the path to recovery, both physically and financially.