Minot Car Accident Lawyers
Experienced & Aggressive Auto Accident Attorneys Serving North Dakota
Although no one expects to be involved in a car accident, the most careful and attentive driver can be injured in a severe collision when others disregard traffic laws and safe driving practices. North Dakota had the highest percentage of drunk driving fatalities in the nation according to government statistics in a recent one-year period. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported more than 4 in 10 driving fatalities involved a driver with a blood alcohol content (BAC) that exceeds the legal limit of 0.08 percent. If you have been the victim of a driver who was intoxicated, speeding, distracted, or otherwise unsafe, you might have a right to financial compensation. Our Minot, North Dakota car accident lawyers protect the rights of injury victims against insurance companies while pursuing the fullest financial recovery for our clients.
We recognize the enormous physical and emotional toll of suffering serious injury in an auto accident. Therefore, our lawyers help clients effectively navigate insurance company traps and legal complications. Also, insurance policies are dense, complex, and filled with exemptions, exclusions, and conditions. On the other hand the civil litigation process involves understanding and navigating civil procedural rules, substantive legal standards, court rules, legal deadlines, case law (e.g., judge made law), statutes, evidentiary rules, etc. At Sand Law, PLLC, our motor vehicle accident attorneys are committed to demystifying the complex process of pursuing legal compensation. By doing so, we can keep clients informed throughout their case and diligently work to obtain the best outcome for injury victims.
Why Seriously Injured Car Accident Victims Select Sand Law, PLLC
Our Minot, North Dakota auto accident lawyers have built a reputation among judges, peers, opposing counsel, and former clients based on proven results and dedication to providing a high-quality attorney-client experience. Sand Law, PLLC has a policy of striving to respond to client calls and emails the same business day or the next business day. We also provide periodic updates and copy clients on correspondence because we recognize the importance of effective client-attorney communication.
Our reputation is reflected in client and peer evaluations, along with numerous accolades and awards, such as:
- Many 5-Star Ratings from Prior Clients Posted on Legal Portals and Websites Rating Professional Service Providers (See Facebook, AVVO (William Sand), AVVO (Richard Sand), Google Reviews;
- Rated 4.9 (5.0) Scale Based on Peer Review (Martindale.com);
- “AV Preeminent” (Highest Rating) Martindale-Hubbell;
- Designated “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers;
- Average Rating of “Excellent” from AVVO (Service Rating All U.S. Lawyers); &
- Selected “Top 40 Under 40” by Super Lawyers.
Why a Top North Dakota Auto Accident Attorney Makes a Difference
Although you have the right to take on at-fault parties and their insurance companies on your own, car accident victims represented by experienced personal injury lawyers tend to fair much better than those who go it alone. An adjuster or investigator from the insurance company might contact you to arrange an in-person interview or recorded statement. Be warned, the insurance representative’s goal is to obtain information that devalues your claim or provides a defense to partially or totally deny liability.
While results of cases will vary depending on numerous factors, insurance carriers are aware of industry studies that reveal claimants with attorneys recover as much as 350% more than individuals who handle their own claims. Insurers and their team of investigators, adjusters, experts, and lawyers are not motivated by a sense of fairness. Rather, their goal is to protect the financial interests of their employer by limiting the amount of money injury victims receive.
Experienced legal representation from a North Dakota car accident attorney benefits individuals injured in motor vehicle accidents in numerous ways, including but not limited to the following:
- Determining the value of your claim;
- Conducting an investigation and analysis to gather the evidence needed to prove negligence, causation, and recover damages;
- Consulting with and retaining appropriate experts;
- Negotiating potential settlements with the insurance company from a position of strength after building a compelling case;
- Ensuring compliance with critical deadlines like the statute of limitations;
- Guiding clients past insurance company traps for the unwary;
- Effectively litigating claims based on appropriate legal standards, evidentiary and procedural rules, court practices, case law, and statutes; &
- Explaining the process, providing legal advice, and keeping injury victims informed of significant developments.
Common Causes of Auto Collisions in Ward County
Liability in most car accident cases is based on some form of negligent or reckless driving. While North Dakota law recognizes multiple degrees of negligence, “ordinary negligence” is defined as the “want of ordinary care and diligence.” The most common cause of traffic accidents is unsafe driving practices, such as:
- Exceeding the posted speed limit;
- Failure to observe right of way rules;
- Driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol;
- Distracted driving;
- Running red lights and stop signs;
- Neglecting to look when changing lanes;
- Illegal left turns;
- Following too closely;
- Not adjusting driving to road, traffic, and weather conditions;
- Cell phone use while driving;
- Drowsy or fatigued drivers; &
- Traffic safety violations.
Maximizing Recovery for Auto Collision Injury Victims
Our Minot auto accident lawyers work diligently to maximize our clients’ financial compensation. We accomplish this task by pursuing several strategies that include:
Identifying All Responsible Parties: Even when a careless driver causes your injuries, the at-fault party might lack adequate insurance or assets to compensate you for your loss fully. To start, this process begins with the initial consultation at the onset of our legal services. Then, our motor vehicle accident lawyers carefully investigate the potential liability of third parties. These may include public entities that fail to design, construct, or maintain safe roadways; manufacturers of defective vehicles; employers of drivers on work-related outings; the vehicle owner; and others depending on the specific facts and circumstances.
Exploring All Insurance Coverage Options: Although North Dakota requires drivers to carry auto insurance, many motorists disregard this mandate or carry the bare minimum. The statutory minimum can prove woefully inadequate. The minimum bodily injury coverage is $25,000 per person and $50,000 for all injury victims. When a person suffers severe injury, this amount might not even cover medical bills. If multiple people are injured, the entire $50,000 in coverage could be exhausted before you file your claim. Therefore, we analyze other coverage, like umbrella policies or our client’s own uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage to increase our clients’ “net recovery.”
Building a Compelling Case for Litigation: While most auto collision claims settle without the need for a trial, we work hard to make a compelling case so that we can negotiate from a position of strength. However, we want insurance companies to know that we will not hesitate to take your case to trial if it is in your best interest.
Negotiating with Medical Providers: Maximizing the amount our clients receive does not end once a settlement or judgment has been obtained. We negotiate with medical providers to secure reductions in medical bills so that our clients put more of their compensation in their pockets.
Providing Experienced Legal Representation in All Types of Collision Injury or Fatality Claims
Our seasoned vehicle accident lawyers have handled thousands of car accident cases. We frequently use experts to analyze the accident scene, vehicle damage, the law enforcement accident report, and other evidence to craft a persuasive explanation regarding the cause of the crash and our client’s injuries. We have the experience and expertise to handle all types of car accidents, such as:
- Head-on collisions;
- T-bone accidents;
- Rear impact crashes;
- Road departures;
- Parking lot crashes;
- Vehicle rollovers;
- Intersection collisions;
- Chain reaction collisions;
- Unsafe road accidents;
- Sideswipe accidents; &
- Hit-and-run accidents.
Injuries Experienced in North Dakota Auto Accidents
The number of traffic fatalities in North Dakota decreased in 2018 according to the North Dakota Highway Patrol. However, vehicle collisions still claimed the lives of over a hundred people and caused severe injury to many more.
A significant number of serious injuries experienced in auto collisions do not immediately manifest serious symptoms. For example, a headache that might be attributed to the stress of the incident could be a symptom of a brain injury. Delays in seeking medical attention can adversely affect a person’s prognosis and compromise his or her financial recovery. Car accident victims should visit a doctor following an accident even if their symptoms seem minor. Additionally, all symptoms should be reported to the doctor. Further, the injured party should submit to all ordered diagnostic tests and imaging.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Some of the injuries we frequently see that can cause intense pain, long-periods of recovery, and/or disfigurement or disability include:
- Head and Brain Injuries: These types of injuries include concussions, skull fractures, brain bleeds, and facial injuries requiring plastic surgery. Brain injuries can have devastating long-term consequences on cognition, sensation, mobility, mood, communication ability, personality, and many other physical and mental functions.
- Fractures & Broken Bones: Broken bones can cause excruciating pain, require surgeries, and necessitate the implantation of screws and metal plates.
- Severe Burns: Serious burn injuries can lead to skin grafts, surgeries, permanent disfigurement, and intense pain.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: When the spinal cord is damaged, an injury victim can suffer the loss of sensation and movement in the extremities. The affected areas of the body will depend on the severity of the injury and location of the damage.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: For example, tendons, muscles, and ligaments can be torn or strained in a collision. These injuries can be excruciating, requiring surgical repairs and long periods of rehabilitation to recover fully.
- Neck & Spine Injuries: This type of injury includes spinal cord damage, herniated discs, a fractured vertebra, and more.
- Wrongful Death: No amount of money can restore the love of a family member whose life is taken prematurely. However, compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit can ease the financial burden that accompanies the tragic death of a family breadwinner.
Speak with a Minot Traffic Accident Injury Attorney About Your Right to Compensation
Our personal injury attorneys at Sand Law, PLLC work diligently to take on insurance carriers and fight for our clients’ rights and interests. Although the precise types and amount of compensation in your case will depend on your unique circumstances, some of the kinds of damages in car accident claims include:
- Expenses for vehicle replacement/repair
- Costs of hospitalization and other medical expenses
- Lost earnings, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Cost of burial/funeral (wrongful death)
- Punitive damages (cases of particularly egregious conduct)
Our traffic accident injury attorneys offer a free case evaluation so that we can review your claim, determine your legal rights, and advise you about how to protect your right to compensation. Call Sand Law, PLLC today at 701-609-1510 or email us for a free consultation as to your accident claim.