Car Accident Lawyers in Bismarck, North Dakota
Helping Victims Injured in Auto Accidents in Bismarck and throughout Burleigh County
Even though a car accident is over in the space of a few seconds, the aftereffects can last for weeks, months, or even a lifetime. North Dakota’s rate of auto accidents is higher than the national average, with one occurring almost every thirty minutes within the boundaries of the state.
Another facet of car accidents is the time it takes to navigate the legal avenues in seeking compensation for damages inflicted on you in the accident. Lawyers representing the other party in the accident can dispute your claim, denying you the reimbursement you are entitled to. Having a North Dakota car accident lawyer in your corner is key to coming out on top in a contentious claim case. The attorneys at Sand Law can help you take action against the responsible parties and get you the compensation you deserve.
Common Types of Accident Cases
A car accident often happens suddenly with little warning. The vast majority are the result of otherwise preventable human error. This is known as negligence on the part of the driver that causes the accident, and it is key to the argument you need to make in claims court.
Car accidents take many forms, with a wide range of severity:
- Fender bender – A lighter collision, with no or minor injuries to the parties involved and minimal damage to vehicles. Though it may seem right to let such minor incidents slide, the damage incurred can still be expensive.
- Collisions – The severity of the average collision is dependent on a variety of factors, including the speed both cars were moving and road conditions such as rain or snow. If the driver that hits you is driving distracted (ie. on their phone) or intoxicated, they are liable for the damage they do.
- Interstate or highway collisions – More often than not, accidents that happen on the highway are the most devastating to passengers and vehicles. Highway speeds equate to far more force when cars collide, leading to incredibly severe injuries.
- Truck accidents – Because of the size and weight difference between a typical passenger car and a commercial truck, accidents between the two are often serious.
- Motorcycle Accidents – Motorcyclists are extremely unprotected on North Dakota’s roadways. They have no exterior protection, no seatbelts, and are often overlooked. Because of this, accidents between car and motorcycles can cause devastating injuries.
- Oilfield vehicle accidents – North Dakota is well known for its oil industry jobs. And while working in the oil fields has its own dangers, the trucks that transport the oil and equipment can cause serious injuries too.
- Pedestrian and crosswalk accidents – Crossing road is an extremely dangerous event, but most people cross roads like it’s no big deal. Motorists, too, often do not take crosswalks serious enough. When a car hits a pedestrian, the result can me serious.
- Bicycle accidents, including those involving children – Bicyclists, like motorcyclists, are unprotected against the heavy steel of cars. When a car hits a person riding a bike, the cyclist is often left with life-long injuries.
Dangerous Habits While Driving
The increased presence of cell phones has led to an uptick in the amount of crashes that are caused by distracted driving. But they are not the only thing that can distract a driver and lead to a negligence on the road. Other habits that seem benign but can distract a driver just long enough for an accident to occur include things like:
- Switching out a CD in the car’s player, or looking down to change songs on a plugged-in phone or MP3 player.
- Applying makeup while behind the wheel.
- Eating while driving.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Consulting a map or GPS for directions while actively moving
Any of these reasons is enough to hold a driver responsible for the accident due to their negligence.
What To Do After a Bismarck Car Accident
Seek Help on the Scene
Have an EMT assess you on the scene of the accident to ensure you are not in any immediate danger from injuries you may have sustained.
Document the scene as best you can by taking plenty of pictures; a cell phone camera works perfect for this. Take pictures of your car, the other cars involved in the accident, and any injuries you or your passengers have sustained. Collect personal information from the other parties in the accident, as well as from witnesses. These are vital for court proceedings in the future.
Seek Further Evaluation From a Physician
Even if you are cleared by EMTs at the scene, you should still be proactive and seek a full physical a few days after the accident. Sometimes damage from the accident does not become fully apparent until some time after the accident, such as the full extent of internal damage or whiplash.
Speak to an Attorney
Speak to a Bismarck car accident attorney for a free case evaluation. This is your chance to ask questions while also learning about your rights as a victim and your potential options.
Recovering Damages from your Bismarck Car Accident
The car accident attorneys at Sand Law can help you file an insurance claim against a negligent driver. These claims seek to recover compensation from the party that caused the accident to compensate financial losses because of:
- Lost wages from missed work
- Pain and suffering from injuries
- Future lost earnings in the event the crash leaves the victim unable to perform their current job and forces them to resign
- Medical bills for severe injures like whiplash, bone fractures, muscle tears, traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord damage
- Funeral expenses, in the event that the crash is fatal to someone that is not one of the responsible parties
Insurance companies often seek to mitigate insurance payouts because of how high the amount can be. It is important to enlist a qualified car accident attorney to help you navigate the legal space and get the compensation you are entitled to.
Experienced Bismarck Car Accident Lawyers
When it comes to injuries resulting from a car accident anywhere in Burleigh County, you need an experienced team to advocate for you. You deserve compensation for the harm you’ve suffered, and our team is the best to help you get it. Contact our experienced truck accident lawyers at 701-609-1510, or fill out our online contact form today.