West Fargo, ND Criminal Defense Lawyers
West Fargo, in Cass County, is one of North Dakota’s largest cities and is known for its vibrant downtown atmosphere. Residents and visitors can head to the expanding metropolis’ downtown eating establishments, bars, and entertainment venues for a night of fun.
However, tragedy can strike and lead to someone being charged with a misdemeanor or felony. Those charged with a crime need a trusted attorney in their corner who can help with the multiple stages of litigation. Sand Law’s criminal defense lawyers have decades of experience helping West Fargo criminals receive acquittals through intelligent legal representation.
What Types of Crimes in West Fargo Can Result in a Criminal Charge?
Those living in West Fargo charged with misdemeanors or felonies will need to consider a criminal defense plan to avoid significant fines and imprisonment. Crimes are unlawful acts that can expose someone else to physical, financial, or sexual harm.
West Fargo crimes normally fall into a couple of different categories: white-collar, property, sexual, violent, or financial crimes. Each type of crime will require a different defense to allow someone to receive an acquittal and avoid significant fines and jail time.
The following are some crimes you could be charged with in West Fargo:
- Actual Physical Control (APC)
- Assault and Battery
- Burglary, Shoplifting, Theft, and Robbery
- Child Abuse and Child Pornography
- Computer Crimes
- Controlled Substances Violation and Drug Crimes
- Credit Card Fraud and Identity Theft
- Driving Under Suspension (DUS)
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) and Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)
- Federal Drug Offenses
- Fraud, White Collar Crimes, and Money Laundering
- Homicide, Murder, and Manslaughter
- Juvenile Crimes
- Rape, Sex Crimes, and Sexual Abuse
- Reckless Driving
- Weapons Crimes
What is the Statute of Limitations for Crimes in West Fargo?
Criminals in West Fargo must consider the statute of limitations of their crimes. This is how long a North Dakota prosecuting attorney has to file a criminal charge before time runs out and the criminal can no longer be held liable.
This amount of time is important for those who possibly committed West Fargo crimes because it gives them a certain amount of time before they know the process will start. They can use this time to prepare a successful defense whether they committed the crime or not.
The following is some information about the statute of limitations in West Fargo:
- Murder does not have a statute of limitations
- The statute of limitations for a child’s crimes does not begin until they reach 15 years old
- The statute of limitations for felony charges is three years
- Child sexual abuse has a 21-year statute of limitations
- Misdemeanors have a two-year statute of limitations
- Theft, destruction of property, trespassing, breach of contract, and fraud have a six-year statute of limitations
Should You Hire a West Fargo Criminal Defense Lawyer?
After being charged with a West Fargo criminal charge, you must consider how to build a successful defense so you do not have to avoid penalties for misdemeanors and felonies. Hiring a criminal defense lawyer from West Fargo is essential to help build a legal defense plan that can help you get acquitted.
An experienced West Fargo criminal defense lawyer will have local and state knowledge that can help inform the claim process. They will also know how crimes are prosecuted and can use this expertise to help you build a legal defense plan that can prove your innocence.
Contact Sand Law for Help With Your West Fargo Criminal Defense Case
At Sand Law, our West Fargo criminal defense lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of crimes that can lead to a criminal charge. They know how court proceedings work in the state and can use their vast experience to help develop a legal defense plan that a public defender could not conceive. Contact us today at 701-394-5396 or on our online contact page.